Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Blue and Pink Maxi Dress...with a side of injustice

My husband, who is over 20 years older than me was taking this outfit-of-the-day photo by this plant in our front yard.  We came inside and I edited the photos and my husband and I were sitting on our couch.  I was reading a magazine, he was playing a video game on a smart phone.  The doorbell rang twice, then there was a loud knock.  I looked outside to see there was a police car parked in front of our house.  My husband answered the door and the officer said there was a call about a 16 year old being photographed under duress.  I was asked to show ID, I asked if I had to and was told no, but I was still asked my age, and name.  This is not the first time an incident has happened that is similar to this.  I feel violated, and abused.  This complaint was ridiculous and unfounded and the police should never have violated the sanctity of our home to check on such a call.  I feel that my husband and I are treated unfairly because of our age differences; I KNOW we are.  If you are not safe from police questioning and harassment in your OWN home, then where are you ever safe to live in peace?  How is it that people that make these calls are not jailed for false reporting? I am a fashion blogger, I take photos nearly every day, sometimes on my own property.  I have NEVER had another problem like this when being photographed on public property, so it's even crazier that when the police are called it would be while my husband and I were on our own front lawn.  Now my husband says he doesn't want to photograph me in public anymore, or on our own front lawn.  He says he doesn't want to hold my hand in public from fear of being accused of being a child molester, kidnapper, etc.  Just why is it worthy of a 911 call if I WERE 16?  A man is not allowed to photograph a 16 year old in an outfit like I am wearing?  What if he was my father?  My paid professional photographer? What were we doing that someone felt the need to call 911 over?  The responding officer did not even apologize for wasting our time. I can only assume the person that called the police did so out of malice, or they are so stupid they have no business driving down the street. If you really believe in justice and equality and peace for all, please SHARE this story.

You can see three other posts about similar incidents here:
 http://libertadgreen.blogspot.com/2012/04/texas-border-patrol.html
http://libertadgreen.blogspot.com/2011/03/nightmare-in-torrence-ca.html
http://libertadgreen.blogspot.com/2012/04/gardena-police-department.html



6 comments:

  1. You are not alone. I encourage you to follow Photography Is Not A Crime (PINAC) to see how government officials interfere in the lives of so many others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about this kind of abuse. I am a photographer and I'd certainly say the photographs are fine even if you were "underage". The person doing the complaining is a bit sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband needs to continue to photograph you in public! Do not let him lose his artistic talent because some jerk calls the police. And by the way you are a beautiful subject to photograph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) We've been getting back out there and taking photos. All the support has been a great help!

      Delete